Friday, September 17, 2010

How to Tie a Sari

I have bought a sari a few days back, because I think it's beautiful, it can be humble and can be even worn to work, if an appropriate colour is chosen.
However, I've been fighting with the application very much (haven't handled it yet) so I dare post the instructions from a Czech site Sari.cz
1. Chose an appropriate underskirt with a firm rim, so you can hold the sari in place with it and start at your right hip at the front, stuffing the sari behind your belt. The wider rim is the bottom one. I would chose to wear a carina top underneath and matching hijab, unconflicting with the colour of the sari.
2. Turn the sari once around you firmly.
3. After you have it once firmly around, create a harmonica on your belly with your fingers, approximately 10 to 12 cm wide, 5 to 10 bends, depending on the length of the sari and then turn the harmonica to face the other way.
4. Turn the sari around you once again, but this time pull it upways, above your breast and below your armpit.
5. Now fix it to your shoulder, possibly with a safety pin. The part to be on top is the decorative rim.
6. Now pull the remainder of the material over your way and fix it to your hijab as best it suits you.

It is really beautiful, yet still halalible and is a type of dress which will insulate heat, thus keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. For summer, light viscose (or for those of you who can aford it silk) is best and in the winter, I would use either a thicker viscose, or cotton (or the silk, but more layers?).

Would you wear it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While searching on the internet, please if u bump into some nice and modest African dress let me know:)Anyway I know who is master in tightening up Saree, so she can advice u...probably u know who I mean. Nice blog habibty..Nelka:)

Hayam said...

Sure I know :)
African dresses in plan ;)